how do i proof i'm a caregiver to my mom as Hardship

You can start by explaining in a detailed affidavit exactly what you do for them. They can also write or dictate affidavits explaining how you help them. 

You can prove these things by providing evidence in support of your claims. You should get medical records, letters from doctors, and copies of prescriptions filled at the pharmacy. Get records of your mother's continued physical therapy. Immigration likes to see continued treatment or multiple doctor visits. You can keep the receipts from taxi or bus rides to confirm what you are saying. 

You can attach printouts from reputable sources regarding your parents medical conditions. (try You can print out country condition reports from your home country to show how the conditions in your home country would make it difficult or impossible for your parents to return with you. (Use the Department of State Reports or look at Human Rights Watch ). 

Provide copies of bills and any income you have to show financial hardship that your parents would suffer without you. 

Show that you have been paying your taxes. They really like to see taxes.

3 months for FOIA/Privacy Act Request?

It is common for FOIA requests to take a very long time. Your only recourse would be a mandamus action in federal court. You probably want to wait another three months before you think about that.

Green card through merriage What happens if my spouse is outside of the United States?

If your spouse is outside the United States they can still apply for a green card. Rather than adjusting status through an I-485 application in the US, he will have to Consular Process. It is very common.


You are usually allowed to amend your application at the interview. You can explain your innocent error and the Officer will probably let you switch the answer. You really want to retract that answer at the first opportunity you have, so in this case as soon as you get an interview.

NATURALIZATION - I have 3 years with my green card. My USA citizen spouse abandoned me. Can I apply by myself.

es you can but you have to wait 2 more years. Unfortunately, the exception to the 5 year rule only applies to those who obtained their LPR status through their spouse and remained married to them for the three-year period. Since you are not living with your spouse you should not apply for citizenship under the 3-year exception. You will have to wait until it has been 5 years and even then you should consider consulting an attorney because when you naturalize USCIS will have questions about the bona fides of the marriage for which you got your LPR status. Good Luck.

Can i file seperate tax returns? if i do will that be pose a problem in removing my 2 year condition?

You have to file married but you can file independently but married. Married people file independently for tax purposes all the time. As long as you have plenty of other bona fide marriage docs then it wouldn't be a big deal. It may cause the officer to take a closer look and ask some questions but it won't disqualify you

Please reload

Ask Me A Question 

Attorney Advertising: This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. This website is owned and operated by Joseph B. CaraccioNY Immigration Lawyers DOT org is not a law firm or business entity and does not engage in the practice of law. The attorneys on this website are not partners in a legal practice or law firm. 


Publicidad de Abogados. Este sitio web está diseñado sólo para información general. La información presentada en este sitio no debe interpretarse como asesoramiento legal formal ni la formación de una relación abogado / cliente. 


This website is attorney advertising. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.

  • w-facebook
  • Twitter Clean
  • LinkedIn - White Circle

NY Immigration Lawyers practicing immigration law in New York, New Jersey, Long Island, Staten Island, Bronx, Westchester, Brooklyn, Queens, Bushwick, Bed-stuy, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Crown Heights, Williamsburg, DUMBO, Red Hook, Downtown, Atlantic Avenue, East New York, Richmond Hill, Kew Gardens, Forest Kills, Jamaica, Rego Park, Queens Village, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Huntington Station, Mineola, Glen Cove, Hempstead,  Glen Head, Bayville, Sea Cliff,  Levitown, East Meadow, Herricks, Albertson, Roslyn, Old Brookville, Locust Valley, Wyndanch, Elmont, Ozone Park, Bayside, Little Neck, Douglaston, Astoria, Flushing, Newark, Kearny, and we will take any Immigration Case anywhere in the United States.